Once you have achieved the Transport Manager CPC qualification, it is yours for life and there is no official need to re-sit the training or exam, however, there are conditions on an Operator Licence of demonstrating “good repute” and you are required to keep up to date with changes in relevant legislation.
Increasingly the DVA is requiring that the Operator Licence named transport manager needs to show evidence of ongoing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and they may look for evidence of qualification and/or CPD in the last 5 years.
When assessing “good repute” the DVA will assess “ability to effectively and continuously manage the transport activities as a transport manager”. Whilst Great Britain has not implemented specific training requirements, applicants for the post of transport manager should possess “high-quality professional knowledge”, otherwise known as Continuing Professional Development (CPD). This practice promotes learning to be “conscious and proactive”, rather than “passive and reactive”.
According to the DVA:
“CPD can take many forms such as training workshops, conferences and events, e-learning programs, best practice techniques and ideas sharing. If there has been sometime since CPD was undertaken the starting point for evidence would be for the completion of a two day transport manager CPC refresher course, run by a trade association, a professional body or an approved exam centre offering the relevant transport manager CPC qualification for the type of licence held”.
The Senior Traffic Commissioner has identified the following instances when a transport manager should expect to provide evidence of their capacity to meet the statutory duty through CPD:
- On initial application when a transport manager has not been specified as such within the previous five years;
- On initial application when a transport manager’s qualification is more than 10 years old;
- On application when a transport manager is proposing to be on more than one licence or when the proposed hours are less than the starting point;
- On renewal of an Operator’s Licence;
- At Public Inquiry when considering whether a transport manager has exercised continuous and effective management.
Many transport managers choose to attend voluntary Transport Manager CPC refresher courses, lasting two days, and which will cover the DVA required CPD. We offer a refresher course which is JAUPT approved to count 14 hours towards Driver CPC training requirements.